These are our Non GMO Seed Reviews of 3 of the best 3 Packet Sets available
Welcome to the GrowWithoutSoil non GMO seed reviews article! I know a lot of you go out and buy seedlings, as they do really work well with hydroponics… but, I also know the satisfying feeling of starting something from seed and getting to see the whole lifecycle of your plant. In fact, we’ve covered starting seeds before, and – if you haven’t come here from this article directly – you should absolutely take a look at the excellent seed starting trays we already have lined up for you.
If you were looking to learn more about non GMO seeds before you buy, you might want to review our non GMO seed-finding guide. Looking for the best growing medium to plop your new seeds into? Try our look at peat pellets for our unbiased guide on what is a bit more controversial than you might think!
Let’s get sowin’!
We tested 3 products and found Survival Essentials 144 Variety Ultimate Heirloom Seed Vault for Survival and Preparedness to be the best group of seed packs for the money.
Survival Essentials 144 Variety Ultimate Heirloom Seed Vault for Survival and Preparedness was our most favored selection of the 3 reviewed. If you’re looking for an all-inclusive Survival and Preparedness kit, or you want to be Farmer Joe or Ma and Pa Kettle, for a modest price, you can grow many, many different types of crops with this seed set.
The other two choices are excellent to get your feet wet with or even be satisfied using within an established system. There is a lot to be said for experimenting and looking for big changes, but there is also a lot to be said for getting a solid routine going and mastering the craft in a reproducible environment.
3 Non GMO Seed Reviews
- Survival Essentials 144 Variety Ultimate Heirloom Seed Vault for Survival and Preparedness – 23,335+ Non-GMO Heirloom Seeds Packed in Superior Ammo Can for Long-Term Storage and Maximum Shelf Life – Best Overall
- SEEDRA 12 Herb Seeds Variety Pack for Indoor, Outdoor Planting – Hydroponic Gardening – 3500+ Seeds – Non GMO and Heirloom – Basil, Thyme, Lavender, Sage, Parsley, Mint, Cilantro and More – Herbs and Spices
- 3. 15 Lettuce & Salad Greens Seeds Variety Pack 7500+ Non-GMO Heirloom Lettuce Seeds for Planting Indoors & Outdoors Garden, Hydroponics, Aerogarden – Arugula, Kale, Spinach, Swiss Chard, Lettuce & More – Most Convenient
1. Survival Essentials 144 Variety Ultimate Heirloom Seed Vault for Survival and Preparedness – 23,335+ Non-GMO Heirloom Seeds Packed in Superior Ammo Can for Long-Term Storage and Maximum Shelf Life – Best Overall
- Cost: $$$
- Key feature: Best Overall no GMO seed set
- Varieties: 144
- Total Seeds: 23,335+
- Packet Material: Thick laminated bags (inside ammo can)
- Plant Types: Intense Variety
- Best for: The hydroponics all-rounder.
- Cool factor: So – Much – Variety!!
- Meh (Cons): A couple of varieties are going to be hard to grow for average setups.
This is an insanely good deal, packed with over a hundred varieties of seeds. You’re going to have the most interesting dishes in the neighborhood and really have a good opportunity to experiment and play around with this package. Anybody wanting to start experimenting with from-seed hydroponics is highly encouraged to play around with this kit.
And play around you’ll get to do. There are 7 varieties of lettuce, 3 of kale, 2 of spinach, and 4 of turnips to work with just for your greens. That’s 3,500 lettuce seeds alone. It is a great way to pinpoint exactly what you want to focus on with your key systems (we all know that lettuce and greens are a big draw for most people using hydroponics at home).
There are also quite a few larger fruiting vegetables in the pack, such as 12+ varieties of tomato or eggplants, squash, and peppers. You’ll 100% have a full meal waiting for you if you try with all of these seeds.
The only drawback of this much variety is that there will be some species you might not be equipped to work with. Carrots and watermelons just aren’t going to be suitable for everyone’s builds, we know that. But, you’re getting so much that you will like, that I think of these seeds as free little extras for your experiments. I don’t think non-GMO seed reviews should pass up on such a well-rounded packet just because a watermelon or two might get too big for the kitchen table!
2. SEEDRA 12 Herb Seeds Variety Pack for Indoor, Outdoor Planting – Hydroponic Gardening – 3500+ Seeds – Non GMO and Heirloom – Basil, Thyme, Lavender, Sage, Parsley, Mint, Cilantro and More – Herbs and Spices
- Cost: $
- Key feature: Best for herbs and spices.
- Varieties: 12
- Total Seeds: 3,500+
- Packet Material: Resealable plastic top.
- Plant Types: Herbs
- Best for: Small, indoor systems.
- Cool factor: Bonus pH tester.
- Meh (Cons): Low germination rate on the lavender.
These herbs are perfect for non GMO seed reviews – they just work great to spice up your homemade bread and other meals.
Put ‘em in your kitchen table system and just wait to see how convenient they’ll be. There’s mint to make a nice herbal tea with, basil and chives to season sauces with, and a bit of thyme for your bread. I’ll admit, I’m not the biggest user of tarragon, but I’m aware it goes well with chicken.
Ultimately, most people have a great time with these seeds, with high germination rates. This is partly because Seedra lab tests their germination rates. That being said, a few people do report relatively low germination rates for the lavender. Luckily, most people seem to get along well with the people at Seedra and more than one has reported a replacement seed packet being sent to them when they spoke up about having germination rate issues.
3. 15 Lettuce & Salad Greens Seeds Variety Pack 7500+ Non-GMO Heirloom Lettuce Seeds for Planting Indoors & Outdoors Garden, Hydroponics, Aerogarden – Arugula, Kale, Spinach, Swiss Chard, Lettuce & More – Most Convenient
- Cost: $
- Key feature: Most Convenient
- Varieties: 15
- Total Seeds: 7,500+
- Packet Material: Resealable plastic top.
- Plant Types: Greens/Lettuce
- Best for: Aerogarden
- Cool factor: Finally, a seed pack made with hydroponics in mind.
- Meh (Cons): No complaints here.
This is the non-GMO seed reviews item with hydroponics lovers in mind. The makers of this seed bundle are apparently quite familiar with the Aerogarden line and really wanted something that would shine with the system. Though, of course, just about any small system will do.
The bundle comes with fifteen separate resealable plastic bags, each with a special QR code on it to help you know what to do with the seeds inside. You’ll find information on the life cycles of the plants, sprouting information, and more. I like the kale, what are you excited for?
The best part is the true variety when it comes time to start using your seeds. With 15 types of greens, you can have a wonderfully diverse salad, plus use some of your extra seeds for delicious sprouts or microgreens.
Non-GMO Seed Reviews Buying Guide
When selecting a Kratky Method Hydroponics System you’ll need to pay attention to several factors.
Is cost a factor? Fully packed and featured seeds sets are not always the best answer, especially for starting farmers or small systems.
- Looks, labels, Markers
- System Size for your location
Does the set have most of your desired seeds or will you need to purchase more packs?
If you have kids or pets you understand that this is a big consideration, dependent on the location of your setup.
Are the packs resealable?
What Type of Light
What type of light does each seed type require? Part Sun, all day sun?
How important is the sustainability of your seed set? Would you like to be able to reuse all the seed containers each time you grow another round of plants? Is it important that the seeds are GMO-free and of chemicals or pathogens?
Do you already know what you want to grow in your system? This is very important to keep in mind when selecting your new system as it will not be possible to grow some vining plants in any of these systems mentioned above.
I actually grow purple and orange strawberries. I am certain they have been genetically modified. We don’t eat them often but they do taste great and the looks on our guest’s faces are priceless!!
All seed sets have cons. Keep a watchful eye on this category as it can easily be a purchase killer!
Buy this system